About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Hiding Out From Hootchie Mama

The the muscle aches and pains from middle age creeping up and intruding on my life, I have no problem remembering that I'm an adult. Most of the time I have the confidence that comes with maturity. Yesterday afternoon was not one of those days. As I found myself avoiding a woman by hiding out in corner of a Chick fil A playground, I felt like an insecure teenager.

My visceral reaction to spotting her in the restaurant took me by surprise. I have never had a confrontation with her, but I have always found her to be annoying. Scott and I dubbed her the "Hootchie Mama Karate Chick" because of her propensity for flaunting exposed thongs while being the loudest and the most obnoxious Mom individual from Robby's Taekwondo classes.

She is the type of woman who creates a whirlwind of chaos in an otherwise calm situation. Her voice resonated through the studio like fingernails on a chalkboard. She excitedly shared her opinions with anyone who happened to be sharing the same oxygen in the room. She was quick to offer unsolicited life advice. One of the best parts of Robby quitting was the fact that we no longer needed to see this lady three times a week.

Seeing her at Chick fil A set off my fight or flight response. I just didn't have the mental energy to endure the awkward small talk and being peppered with judgement infused questions about why Robby quit Taekwondo.  Instead of  acting like an adult, I chose to hide among the forgotten socks and discarded nuggets behind the yellow corkscrew slide.

It definitely wasn't the most mature approach, but at least I didn't have to talk to her. Sometimes maturity is overrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment