About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Unpredictable

One of the most frustrating things of navigating an autoimmune issue with a child is the uncertainty. We never quite know when a flair might occur and what symptoms will manifest. By most accounts Timmy appears physically healthy and strong, but those close to us realize that wellness is a fragile state dependent upon a myriad of factors. I wish I could wave a magic wand and fix all of his ailments.

I feel guilty feeling frustrated and worried about his health. Compared to many children, especially those we see at Children's Hospital, I know that we are extremely lucky. Still though, it is hard watching your little one struggle to feel well.  He has such a happy disposition and just wants to be silly and play. I hate seeing him knocked down by his own body reactions.On Sunday night Scott and I noticed some welts forming on Timmy's legs.

Yesterday morning his extremities were covered with hot, red and apparently itchy hives. His body was in overdrive, and my sweet little boy was an itch riddled mess. Knowing from experience that activity only worsens the reaction, I did my best to keep him quiet and comfortable throughout the day. Instead of playing outside or going to one of his toddler play centers, we spent a lot of time baking cookies and watching the Polar Express.

By the time the sun was setting his hives were lessening in severity. I'm hoping that his medication will continue to work magic throughout the night and that he will be less spotted in the morning. If I could take this struggle away from him, I would do it in a heartbeat. Since that isn't possible, I'm going to keep pushing and fighting on his behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment