About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Headed to DC!

Last week I was contacted about attending a press event to help increase awareness about the access to prosthetics. I immediately accepted the invitation without thinking about who was going to watch Timmy in my absence. It wasn't until I hung up the phone that I began to panic about daycare. I knew that it was important for me to attend, and I didn't want to risk losing the invitation while I secured Timmy care so I took a leap of faith that I would figure it out. 

Thankfully Scott, who supports all of my advocacy efforts, was able to take the day off of work without difficulty.  He hasn't missed any days this year and was in need of a mental health day, so my needing back up turned out to be the perfect excuse to take personal leave. He and Timmy are going to play outside, go to lunch and probably visit the train section of the toy store while I'm in DC. I'm sure that they will both have a great day. 

Despite Robby's pleas, his schedule will remain unchanged today. He tried to convince us that he needed to stay home to "help" his Daddy take care of Timmy. While I applaud his efforts, he was vetoed. He's going to school regardless of who is home with his brother.  

While Scott and Timmy are busy playing and Robby is in school, I'll be in DC trying to bring a voice to the issues impacting so many in the limb loss community. I'm both nervous and excited about this opportunity. Hopefully I will represent well!  Please wish me luck, and I'll report back tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment