About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, September 18, 2017

Throwing Clay

Friday evening Robby and I were able to cross another item off of our bucket list.  After years of talking about it and never quite getting around to making it happen, we finally took a pottery wheel class. (Thanks Groupon!) I had so much fun spending time learning a new activity with Robby.  

Despite having no experience with a pottery wheel, Robby was a natural. After watching the teacher, he was able to replicate the project, a bowl, with seemingly little effort. I was not nearly as adept with the clay, but I after some extra instruction (and a quick patch job from the teacher) I was able to create a quasi lopsided bowl.  In this family, Robby definitely has the artistic abilities.

On Saturday we packed up and headed to the parade and community street fair. Robby strutted down the route like a proud peacock, waving to everybody and enthusiastically demonstrating his Taekwondo skills. I cheered and followed him along the sidelines throughout the route so that we could walk back together. Towards the end of the route he was chosen to break a board, which was undoubtedly the highlight of the event. (He would like me to include the fact that he broke it on his first time, using an ax kick.)

After the parade we walked through the fair, visiting with the vendors and collecting bags of freebies and giveaways. By the time we reached the car I was loaded down like a pack mule with assorted branded junk. Robby had a great time unpacking all of our swag bags, carefully sorting everything in piles. He was smiling and unveiling each item like it was a trophy, but I couldn't help but think that the last thing I needed was more piles of crap on my kitchen table.  

All told it was a good weekend. I was able to take a much needed nap on Sunday, and I'm feeling stronger and more centered for the week ahead.  Hopefully it will be a good week.


No comments:

Post a Comment