About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, September 04, 2017

Labor Day Lamenting

If you have been reading my blog over the years, you already know that I despise Labor Day. Even as a child, I found the notion of celebrating the end of summer nonsensical. Why would anybody want to celebrate the end of carefree and fun summer days? The advent of school, and the return of homework and after school activities do not warrant a party!  

The past few weeks have been hectic with work travel and new school year preparations. I'm happy to spend a low key Labor Day at home, picking up around the house and not doing anything terribly taxing. The front yard is a mess with plastic toys, water hoses and the assorted remnants of summertime fun. Today I'd like to get the yard cleaned up, but I'm not terribly optimistic that any of us will gather the motivation to actually do it. I'm just too tired to nag, and I could use a day off. The toys will undoubtedly be there tomorrow, and maybe then I can convince Timmy to help me.

It is hard to believe that Robby is starting 6th grade tomorrow. He is excited about seeing his friends but is quick to point out that he is not looking forward to going back to class. I'm sure he will be fine when he gets back into the swing of our school year routine. This week will be rough, but soon we'll all be back on track. I do think that Timmy is going to miss his brother and the excitement of having everybody at home. I'm pretty sure he is going to be high maintenance this week, demanding constant attention and entertainment until everybody returns home.  Hopefully it won't take long for him to adjust to just hanging out with boring old Momom each day. I know I'm not nearly as funny or entertaining as his brother, but I will do my best to fill the void.

Because our grill broke, we will probably break with tradition by forgoing the obligatory barbecue and instead eat spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I am not completely anti-tradition though; we will go out for ice cream for lunch.  Happy Labor Day, regardless of how you decide to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment