About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, August 25, 2017

Travel Worries

Sunday I'm packing up and flying to San Francisco for a few days. I wish that I could allow myself to feel excited about the trip. Instead I am worried and fretting over leaving the boys and scrambling to get everything covered in my absence. If it wasn't for my Mom, I'm not sure what I would do!  

With Scott back at work, my Mom has (again) stepped in to fill a childcare void.  The boys are going to spend a few days in Pennsylvania while I'm away for work. With Robby's cousins back in school, he may be bored during the day. He has thoroughly enjoyed spending his summer days playing with his cousins and I know that he'll miss them while they are at school. 

In order to save my Mom from having to deal with a bored tween, I've given Robby permission to spend the time on the computer playing video games with his friends. While not the ideal way to spend a few days, he will be occupied and happy. Given the circumstances I think that extended computer time is probably the best option.

Timmy will be considerably higher maintenance. He has been clingy lately and is not going to be happy being left, I worry about how he is going to react to my absence. I'm really hoping that having his brother there will help to soothe his anxiety but I'm not terribly optimistic. 

Ultimately Timmy will be fine and won't remember my leaving, but I worry about him being difficult for my Mom.  Being responsible for a cantankerous toddler is not easy. I've been trying to pack little surprises to distract and entertain Timmy long enough to give my Mom a break.  Robby and I have had long talks about helping his Nana and playing with Timmy during my absence. He is a good kid and I know that he'll log off the computer to help.  

In reality, I can't control Timmy's reaction when I am gone. I can arm my Mom with supplies to help, and I can prep Robby for his responsibilities. Who knows, maybe he'll be fine and surprise everybody! It could happen, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment