About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Easier for Once?

I continue to be astounded by the differences between Timmy and Robby. They are both born from the same parents, live in the same home and have had similar experiences. In many ways that is where the similarities end.

Perhaps it is a case of having a selective memory, but I remember Robby as a relatively easy toddler. He was eager to please and never strayed too far from my side. Always cautious, he weighed the risks at a tender age and rarely pushed the limits. Although we had brief bouts with Robby Rotten, he was a content and quick to please child. 

Timmy, on the other hand, tests me daily. He is quick to sprint away at every opportunity. He has no fear and relishes climbing higher and sliding faster than I would prefer. The "big kid" rock walls at the playground are no match for his climbing abilities.  He is secure in his desires and wants and does not hesitate to voice his displeasure when he doesn't have his way. (That was a nice way of saying that he can throw Oscar worthy tantrums without much provocation.)

Yesterday Scott and I discovered yet another difference between the boys. Robby was a nightmare to potty-train. His deep seeded fear of using the potty resulted in chronic withholding. We were forced us to seek medical care from two separate doctors and it took nearly a year to get the issue under control. He wasn't completely toilet trained until he was 4.5, but it certainly wasn't due to a lack of effort on our part.

While shopping at Target I picked up a little potty chair for Timmy. After the experience with Robby, I wasn't expecting much from him. I was hoping to familiarize him with the concept so that we could begin to introduce using the potty this summer.  To my surprise (and delight), Timmy had other plans.  Almost as soon as I unpacked the potty chair he took off his diaper and correctly demonstrated its use. 

I began to cheer, and Timmy clapped happily. Then the little potty began to sing, which resulted in terrifying Timmy. (I didn't know that the toilet would talk when the little bowl detected moisture.) Timmy jumped off the potty and went streaking through the house, trying to get away from the singing toilet. 

We disconnected the sounds, but I don't know how long it will be before we can convince Timmy to sit on it again. Hopefully I didn't sabotage our potty training efforts with the singing chair. After the year long drama of potty training Robby, it would be a nice change for Timmy to be the "easier" child for once. 

No comments:

Post a Comment