About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Inexhausible Energy

Yesterday Timmy was full of mischief.  I didn't need to worry about exercising because keeping up with him was absolutely exhausting. The day started off normal, but an allergic reaction quickly sent everything into a tailspin. Usually his allergy medication makes him drowsy, but occasionally it has the opposite effect. Yesterday was definitely one of those days.

Timmy was literally jumping off anything that provided altitude. He happily tried to scale up our brick wall in the entry way. (Although I was by no means happy with his attempt, I must admit to being moderately impressed with his ability. He managed to climb up at least 5 feet before I found him and pulled him down.) 
 
I spent the majority of my day trying to distract him into a less destructive activity. Most of the time my attempts were rebuffed with great prejudice as he took of sprinting in a tornado of chaos. His attention span was fleeting and he an inexhaustible supply of energy.

Hamlet is still small for his age, but my goodness he is strong. It turns out that he can push our sleeper sofa across the living room, a feat he happily demonstrated throughout the day. I spent a good hour carrying him, planking and screaming, up the stairs in an attempt to keep him from superman leaping down to the landing. He would appease me by playing with his trains for a few minutes before taking off to try to base jump from the stairs again. The polar opposite of Robby, my little Timmy has no fear.

He pushed all of my buttons, and his limits, throughout the day. The afternoon hours felt like an eternity as I waited anxiously for Scott to come home. Almost as soon as he walked in the door I took leave to go to the bathroom. It wasn't physically necessary, but nobody was the wiser. In reality I enjoyed the solitude and spent 30 minutes just eating chocolate and reading a magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment