About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, December 23, 2016

Swollen Toes.

After Timmy's reaction of unabashed joy when he saw the pool on Wednesday, I was expecting a repeat performance yesterday morning. Per our plan, my Mom and Timmy arrived at the hotel room around 9 with donuts and a swim diaper (for the toddler not my Mom).  I took one look at my little guy and immediately knew that something was wrong. 

Hamlet was struggling to walk, keeping the weight on the balls of his feet instead of his toes.  I removed his little slipper socks to discover that his toes were both swollen and red. His rheumatoid issues were flaring up, and my little swim bug was in pain. 

I was hoping that the water would help soothe his symptoms, but he only lasted about 45 minutes in the pool before he wanted to leave.  Even when he was in the water his enthusiasm was tempered, and he never squealed and barely cracked a smile.  This latest flare up convinced me that we need to proceed with treatment in the coming months. I hate the treatment options, but I detest seeing him in pain more.  In 2017, we will be working to eradicate his autoimmune issue!

While Timmy and I watched cartoons in the hotel room the big kids splashed and played in the pool.  They all arrived about 10 minutes before check-out time, drenched but wearing broad smiles. All things considered, the Adventure was a success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment