About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Ready or Not- Here He Comes

Today my little Koopa starts the fifth grade.  Didn't he just start kindergarten?  I am having a difficult time grasping that my sweet little freckled faced boy is now entering his last year of elementary school. I know that he is ready for the challenges ahead, but to be honest I'm not sure that I'm prepared!

This is the first year that Robby has taken any effort with his appearance. My splash-and-go kid has been replaced by a tween who suddenly cares about grooming. I was shocked when he asked me to take him to the salon for color. He decided that bright yellow streaks would look "epic and awesome" against his dark brown locks. I wasn't convinced, but I wanted to allow him the freedom to experiment with his own hair, so I agreed to drive him to the appointment.

Much to my surprise, he is able to pull off bright yellow streaks. He certainly has a natural confidence that I hope never diminishes. With a new style and wardrobe, we are ready to tackle the next 10 months.

Each year I worry as he changes grades, but I am learning to trust that my little Koopa is great at adapting. I know that we'll have struggles, but I'm beginning to realize that those obstacles won't keep him down for long. He is resilient, and he is ready for the fifth grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment