About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

First Day Recap

The first day of fifth grade was a rousing success.  Robby emerged from class happy and chatting nonstop about the adventures that are being planned for the year ahead. I love seeing him so excited about learning. His enthusiasm and success are much needed affirmation that his unorthodox learning environment is working for him.  

Getting prepared for the school day it was obvious that Robby is growing up. He used to love my writing little notes on his lunch bag.  This year my efforts were met with an eye roll and a request for a new, unadorned bag.  Apparently having notes written by Mom is not appropriate for fifth graders. 

Ironically, my Koopa who didn't want attention from my decorated bag opted to bring a MRE for lunch. He claimed that "if the meals are good enough for soldiers, then they are good enough for fifth grade."  I don't really understand the logic because he would certainly stand out bringing a military ready to eat meal in a bag to the lunch table. All I can figure is that he doesn't  mind standing out, he just doesn't want to be different because of a doting Mom. Sigh.  I don't think I'm ready for the teen years.

Not wanting to be outdone by the excitement being garnered by the start of school, Timmy took the opportunity to continue a (rather unfortunate) family tradition. Robby began our first day of school urgent care visit several years ago when he pushed a bead up his nose. Yesterday was Hamlet's turn. Almost as soon as we arrived home he met with an inhospitable swarm of wasps. Timmy's hand was stung numerous times, causing him to immediately swell. 

I wasn't sure about an allergic reaction and erred towards being proactive. We went to urgent care, where the final stinger was removed and Timmy was treated for his stings. He is not allergic (thank goodness) but the stings left some nasty and painful marks. The remainder of the day was spent trying to keep the swelling controlled and him comfortable. Needless to say, he did not have a good first day of "Momom and Timmy school." 

With the excitement of the first day behind us, I'm hoping that we can all settle into a comfortable schedule.  Barring any more urgent care visits, I am sure that Timmy will adjust to having a quiet house during the day. He and I will slowly find our groove and strike a balance between playing and work. In the meantime, we are just going to roll with it until everything settles down.  Hopefully we won't have anymore trips to urgent care to ruin our plans!





No comments:

Post a Comment