About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Priorities

Yesterday I bailed on Boot Camp and I don't feel the least bit guilty. I haven't quit, and I fully intend to go today and the rest of the week. I have decided that I am no longer going to Monday's class, which focuses on the bum and abdominal regions.

Last Monday I went to the abs and buns class only to be squeezed out of my spot on the mat. The class was packed with people whom I have never seen before, and have not seen since. I suspect that they only come for the Monday workout. While I do care about my bum and tummy, I don't care enough to compete with the hoards of cheek squeezing, spandex laden, Jane Fonda wannabes.

Instead of going to class I went for a jog on my exercise trampoline. I hate running, so it is safe to say that I was probably as miserable as if I had attended class. I continue to be frustrated with my lack of strength and sore body. Nobody else in class seems to have any of the same ailments, which makes me feel alone and weak.

Like most people I know, I have gone through sprees with diet and exercise. There are times in my life where I have given it my all, convincing myself that this is a new part of my normal. Then my priorities shift (I prefer this term more than quitting, which has a self-deprecating inference) and the excess weight creeps back. 

Hoping for long term results, this time I am approaching my endeavor with a different perspective. I am not concerned about weight or shape. Instead, I am focusing on strength and health. Perhaps viewing working out as body maintenance rather than calorie burning I will have more long term success.

Despite the muscle discomfort, I felt oddly empowered by following through on my commitment to health. I'm sure that someday I won't always be sore and tired, and that going to Boot Camp and working out regularly will be worth it. Right now I'm not there yet, but I can see it on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment