About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Busy Distractions.

Yesterday Robby, Timmy and I returned home after nearly a week away. What started out as a quick trip to clear my mind and escape my funk morphed into a mini camping vacation. A few days away and a mini adventure was just what I needed to recenter myself and to feel happy. I feel like myself again.

Jack moves on Sunday, which is inevitably going to sadden my little Koopa. Although their friendship has been stormy, Robby has thoroughly enjoyed having a buddy across the street. I talked with him last night about his feelings concerning the move. He claimed that he was sad but okay because he is optimistic that another family with a child or two will move into the neighborhood. He also suggested that I was taking the move harder than him, which is probably true. Perhaps I need to follow his lead and stop projecting my memories of my friend moving away onto his experience.

Despite his insistence that he is fine, Scott and I are planning on keeping Robby busy over the next few days. Sunday we are driving a few hours to attend a memorial picnic for a dear friend's husband. He doesn't know yet, but Monday we are leaving for our family vacation. (Thanks again to my sister who has stepped up to fill the role of cat and house sitter while we are away.) 


In the meantime, I am going to try to disguise my feelings about the move. If Robby isn't devastated, my insinuating that he should be might be enough to introduce emotions. I'm going to remain silent on the topic while letting him know that we are both here if he wants to talk. Hopefully he will handle this change with more grace than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment