About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Tainted Lens

I had the honor of co-hosting the Women's Round Table discussion at the Amputee Coalition National Conference. I consider the session to be one of my favorite conference moments. While I loved reuniting with friends, the discussion that transpired behind those closed doors was simply powerful. 

We talked about a myriad of topics, ranging from socket fit to dating to sex. I was in awe both of the honesty and the strength of all of the women in the room. Opening up to strangers is difficult, and I was concerned about creating an environment conducive to sharing. It turns out that my worrying was unnecessary because, although there were nearly 100 women in the room, the discussion felt intimate and safe.

I learned one extremely powerful lesson during the session: young and old, skinny or overweight, it really doesn't matter. The majority of women have issues with body image. Hearing everybody confess to the same concerns and worries was empowering.

As women, we spend an inordinate amount of time self-loathing and working to conceal or fix perceived flaws. We don't see the flaws in our friends and in other women, yet we are highly critical of ourselves. In a way, knowing that I'm not alone has been both uplifting and sad at the same time.

I wish that I could view myself through my children's lens.  Robby and Timmy don't care if my thighs are flabby or if my tummy is soft.  They are just happy that I'm in the pool playing with them.  They don't care if my hair is greying or if my boobs are starting to sag.  They think I'm perfect and love me unconditionally.  Perhaps it is time I start offering myself the same courtesy!

1 comment:

  1. These are the very topic we need both men and women need to focus on. Sexuality, body image and how to address that. My focus is on creating a sense of wholeness without the regard to limb loss. Years ago someone asked my partner if it was strange to be with someone intimately with one leg. Her reply was, "Honey if I am thinking about his leg, then he is not getting the job done."

    ReplyDelete