About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Confession from a Young Biker

In preparation for Robby's big biking challenge, we have started to take nightly rides through the neighborhood.  Many times his friends tag along as we meander through the development. I'm sure that we are quite a sight as we ride by, a group of mismatched kids happily pedaling after a one-legged middle aged lady.

Robby has only been riding for a year but is handling the bike like a champion.  My heart still jumps when I see him taking curves quickly or going downhill fast. I know that he loves the feeling of speed, but I think I'll always worry about him falling.  I'm a Mom: worrying is what I do.

A few nights ago, while we were out on one of our nightly jaunts, Robby kept stopping along the road. He didn't dismount entirely but he kept stopping and standing as he straddled the bike. After the third time, I felt compelled to ask him if he was okay.

"Oh I'm good Momom. Sorry about that, I had to toot. I am worried that the velocity of my toots might propel me off of my bicycle seat. I don't want to take any chances, so I just take a toot break and then keep riding."

So there I was, on the side of the road trying to explain to my 9 year old son that he can toot and ride at the same time. That was certainly a conversation I never expected to have! Who would have known that our cycling challenge would be so enlightening? 

No comments:

Post a Comment