About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Wild Weather

Last week Robby was running around the yard wearing only a light jacket. Today his school is operating on a delayed opening due to the severe cold. I have a feeling that this winter is going to go from weird to absolutely crazy. While Robby seems delighted with the turn in temperatures, my body has had a completely different response.

My leg has definitely felt the wrath of Mother Nature. Last night my limb felt as if it were constantly being shocked, causing it to kick and shake erratically. This tends to happen whenever wild fluctuations in the weather occur, although knowing that it is going to happen doesn't make it any easier.  Compression, massage, and warmth  is all I can really do on those jitterbug leg nights. After all of my comfort remedies were exhausted, I consigned myself to a long and uncomfortable night. 

As if the electric shocks weren't uncomfortable enough to endure, this morning I was further abused when I had to don my ice cold liner. Trust me, nothing wakes me up more quickly than having to roll an icy cold liner onto my leg. Normally I grab the liner and warm it up with me under the covers before putting it on, but Timmy's demands to be released from his crib were growing, and I didn't want to risk waking everybody else in the house. (Donning an ice cold liner so that the  family can sleep is the very definition of maternal love!)

Today will be spent huddling by the fire, trying to stay warm. It's too cold for Timmy to play outside, so I might take him and Robby to the bounce house after school. If I don't provide them with an outlet for their energy, I know that I will feel the brunt of it tonight at bedtime.  Hopefully my leg has adjusted to the change in temperatures, and I won't be shocked all night again.

No comments:

Post a Comment