About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Busy Visits

Today is sure to be draining, both emotionally and physically. In addition to chauffeuring Robby to and from school and my own work obligations, Timmy and I have three visits scheduled with new amputees. I wish the weatherman had received my memo, but the persistent cold rain seems to have settled in for the week. It looks like I'll be doing a lot of driving in the rain today.

I always feel pressure when I am asked to meet with a new amputee. I know how difficult it is to reach out and to ask for help. I always worry that I won't find the words and that my visit will be viewed as a waste of time. More than anything, I want to make sure that the individual(s) know that they are not alone.

I am always honest when answering questions, but I am also strive to portray the amputee community in a positive light. Unfortunately, many in our society continue to view amputees with ghastly horror. The idea of living a life without a leg or an arm (or both) is too overwhelming to imagine. When somebody finds themselves thrust into that new "dreaded" reality, it is imperative that I demonstrate that their perceptions about amputees were incorrect.

Despite the weather and my own blistery limb issues, today I will be putting my best foot forward. I will be cognizant of my steps to mask my limp, and I will be smiling and upbeat despite the pain in my back and the achy rain. Wish me luck as I welcome these new friends into the amputee community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment