About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Walking Day!

Even though I felt like I was dragging, the absence of vomiting made it a better day. Timmy gifted me by taking a lengthy nap, allowing me some much needed sleep in the middle of the afternoon. We both woke up feeling happier, I really wish that he would make napping part of his daily routine!

Today is a special day in our home because it is my Walking Day.  Twelve years ago this morning I received my first prosthetic, allowing me the opportunity to take my first steps (literally and figuratively) towards independence.  I will never forget the trepidation and excitement that I felt as I donned my first socket.

Trusting Elliot, and knowing that I really had no option rather than move forward and try, I took a deep breath and carefully moved my prosthetic leg in front of me. Just like a baby, I could only concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other.  Within minutes of slipping on my prosthetic, I was walking and independent.  The experience was truly magical.

With so many sad anniversaries related to my amputation, Walking Day is the one that I decide to celebrate. Instead of remembering what was lost or how everything changed because of my accident and amputation, Walking Day allows me to celebrate the moment I regained my life and independence. This video documents this special milestone in my life, and watching it always brings a smile to my face.

Happy Walking Day to me!


1 comment: