About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, November 30, 2015

Back to Reality

My week long Thanksgiving vacation has come to an end, and today we return to our routine of school and work. The week flew by so quickly it is hard to believe that it is over. I had a wonderful time visiting with my Mom and seeing my family on Thanksgiving. I always enjoy going home, but it is especially nice when I am able to extend the visit beyond the weekend.  I know that she enjoyed her time with the boys, but I also think she appreciated the quiet and calm after we left.

During the past few weeks I have noticed some changes in Timmy. He has always been curious and borderline mischievous. Lately he has been flirting with Santa's Naughty List as he pushes his limits and tests everything and everybody around him. "No no no" has become our family mantra as we are constantly trying to discourage him from his latest adventure and investigation. I can tell by his guilty giggle and the smirk on his little face that he is well aware of what he is doing.

Timmy has been keeping me on my toes. He would be exhausting under the best of circumstances. Unfortunately the blister on the back of my stump has reemerged, making each step painful and deliberate. Lacking the empathy that comes with both age and experience, Timmy has taken full advantage of the head start my bum leg affords him. I am seriously considering keeping his child leash attached while inside just so I have a chance of catching him before he climbs to the top of the kitchen table to dance and swipe the cookies- again.

I'm beyond frustrated with the recurring blister on my leg. I have exhausted every amputee hack I know, and have finally conceded that a new socket is in order. I texted Elliot on Saturday and we will begin the process today. While I'm not thrilled bout the idea of having to juggle the fitting appointments into my already packed schedule, I know it will be worth it in the end. After all, I really don't have time to be in pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment