About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Unsung and Unstoppable

Several months ago I received notification that I was selected to receive the "Unsung and Unstoppable" award. I was honored to receive this distinction, reserved for individuals with disabilities who are making a difference in the community.  As part of the vetting process, I was told that biographies of all of those honored were going to be compiled into a book to celebrate the efforts of those selected. 

Yesterday was difficult as I struggled to rationalize the news of  my Uncle George's sudden death. I spent the morning making arrangements for my Mom to travel to the funeral, which was really the only thing I could do to help her. Even though it was a small gesture, it felt good to be able to do something! Perhaps because I had just lived through their reality with my own Dad, I was particularly aware of the grief that my cousins were experiencing. I was also aware that, other than offering my love and support, there was nothing I was going to be able to say or do to take away their pain. 

Feeling sad and helpless, I opened up my email to discover a link to the recently published Unsung and Unstoppable ebook. Nervously, I opened up my chapter and began to read. Of course, the kiddos had a different notion. It seemed that the moment I sat down to read they both became needy. (I ended up retreating with my computer to the bathroom so that I could read more than a few sentences before getting interrupted by Timmy and Robby.)

I took screenshots of my chapter to share in this blog. This was certainly a bright spot in an otherwise bleak day!






No comments:

Post a Comment