About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, June 19, 2015

Summer Begins

It is official and I now have an emerging fourth grader. 

The party yesterday was a smashing success. He came home from school soaking wet, sticky from cupcakes and ice cream, exhausted from playing but smiling from ear to ear. I definitely ended my room mom year on a high note!

By the time I was done hosting the party my leg was killing me. It was hot and extremely humid, which caused my limb to swell. Par for the course during the summer, but it doesn't mean it isn't painful trying to squeeze an inflated balloon of a stump into a fixed size socket.  I suppose this is a mixed blessing, because the summer swelling forces me to monitor my diet more closely.

Robby skipped out of the school while I began summer vacation limping.  I couldn't wait to get home and take my leg off. I had daydreams of sitting on the couch and kicking off summer vegging out in front of Orange is the New Black while Robby played computer games until Scott came home. My plan was perfect with the exception of one small detail.

One small, incredibly active and mischievous detail kept me from my couch respite. Timmy definitely had other plans on how he wanted to spend the afternoon, and sitting was certainly not one of them! I quickly abandoned my relaxation aspirations, took a water pill to reduce the swelling in my limb and did my best to keep up with an extremely quick one year old. He may be small, but those little legs are fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment