About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Living Artifact

Last year at this time I was bombarded with medical tests and screenings because of my "advanced maternal age." I still resent the label, but lately I've been worried that it may be rearing its head. Last night during dinner, Robby complimented me by calling me a "living artifact."  Apparently having survived a childhood without a remote control television, gaming system and cable TV qualifies me.  While I know that he did not mean it as a negative, I couldn't help but feel that perhaps it is becoming true.  After all, I'm always tired!

Realistically I know that my age is not my only factor contributing to my fatigue.  After all, my body is still recovering from two major surgeries. (I figure that I can rely upon this excuse until the first anniversary of my last surgery. After that time, I'm probably going to just have to admit that I am out of shape.) I am also working, managing home and school activities and worrying about my Dad. In short, I'm juggling more balls than a carnival performer.

Although I have a lot of reasons behind my fatigue, I would be remiss if I didn't reveal what is probably the primary factor. It only took a day or two for Hamlet to emerge from a timid crawler into a curious little mover. Having fully mastered the technique, he has been moving non-stop ever since! I don't remember Robby being this active, but I'm sure he was and I have just blocked it out. Of course it has been nearly 9 years since I was last chasing around a crawler, which brings me back to lamenting my age.

Timmy continues to wake up before dawn and is in constant motion until he collapses from
exhaustion at night. While I try to encourage naps, they are both fleeting and few. As soon as I put him down, his tired little eyes perk up and he a huge smile washes over his pink cheeks. He's happy, which definitely is his saving grace during his middle of the night play sessions.  I'm told that he will outgrow this stage. Needless to say, I'm still waiting. In the meantime, this artifact Mom will just keep the anti-fatigue wrinkle cream slathered and the coffee flowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment